Skip to main content

21 Days Lockdown - Days 8 & 9

Hello everyone!
It has been 48 hours since we have connected and I hope all of you have been fine and are following the rules of the lockdown. Past 48 hours have been as I predicted. Due to the lack of news about this pandemic and the pandemic of shitty information nowadays which has been created in the past one month I could sleep and think better. As I said that explosion of information was creating chaos in my brain. Apart from that, there have been two major developments in my life. 


First, we have been told to come every day to our laboratory even if we do not have any work. In case we are afraid of exposure to COVID-19, we are supposed to take our leaves which are actually not much for us postgraduates. Although we are being paid less than most of the postgraduates in this country still it is mandatory for us to come even if we are at risk of developing a disease from a patient sample. The most amazing thing is that only the postgraduates and faculty for my department have been called back, no other department has called their exam going postgraduates or full faculty every day. I do not know why such kind of decision has been taken by the management but I am sure that it will be solved in the coming days. The second major development which has taken place in my life is that I have decreased the number of hours I am putting in for exercise every week. Many of my readers had a concern about me getting exposed to the environment of COVID-19 if I go for exercise regularly. In my opinion that was not the case because I used to exercise in the part of our campus which is approximately 0.75 kilometres away from the OPD. OPD is further protected from isolation wards and the screening clinic where we might have COVID-19 positive cases. Still taking the advice of my family members and many of the people who discourage me from going to exercise regularly as it increases the risk of exposure I have decided that I will go every alternate day for a 10k run. 


The reason I run regularly is not just to be fit but I think it has become a part of my lifestyle. You can ask me to travel as much as you want, go to new places, go for trekking or do any other exercise still I will go in the morning and have a run before I start my day. What I want to say is that running has become a daily activity for me now, not just for my fitness but also for planning my day and bringing my focus back to the real issues of life. Apart from these things most of my day was revolving around what was happening in my department and how we are going to proceed further. As of now, we have been told to come tomorrow and regularly every day even if there is a risk of exposure to COVID-19. As I already told that most of the eateries are open due to which food is easy to get but I have decided to go for shopping tomorrow and bring some dals so that I can learn cooking as well as eat good quality food and control my calories. When I say control my calories that doesn't mean that I am eating more but the opposite. As most of you know that if we start eating outside there is a limit which when reached our body stops accepting food because it is tired of eating food which is oily or has a lot of calories. I think I have reached that stage when I cannot order any more and have to concentrate on my cooking skills so that I can cook as much as I need whenever I need to eat to make sure that I survive this lockdown. Apart from studies I also went for a run today and completed 5.2 miles in 50 minutes. To minimise my exposure I have made a new schedule of exercise in which I go out wearing N95 mask until I reach the campus where there is almost no one for acres and acres of land. On each alternate day I do a 10k run except Sundays. The end of the week is reserved for a longer run. Sometimes I make my runs shorter i.e. a 5k with strengthening exercises like squats or lunges. 


I have also made a very small regime for upper body exercises. I do not use any gym or gym equipment for those and always go with my bodyweight i.e. I do push-ups, triceps and pull-ups. Past two days have been little surprising too. There have been two major pieces of news which have shaken the nation and its resolved to have a clean lockdown. The first one when a lot of devotees were found in Delhi hiding in a place and crowding that place with 200 - 400 positive cases in between them. First, I would like to say that it is very careless and irresponsible on the part of the management of that place where people have been accumulating for a very long period of time amid this lockdown. Second mistake was committed by the authority responsible for evacuating the place. Instead of just shoving everyone out of that place they should have made them stay there and swab each and every person before they could go to their houses. 
They should have taken addresses of all the people who were participating in that meeting and made sure to follow-up if any of them developed COVID-19 later. Instead, they just shoved everyone out of there and now they are trying to trace them so as to find out if someone was positive at that time when did not pay attention. This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen somebody doing in my life. The second discouraging news was when doctors have been treated very rudely by the people whom they are treating. Although there are many instances of these incidents in our country because apparently anyone can come and beat a medical professional in this nation still I would like to mention a few. First was the same group of people who were found in that place spiting on postgraduates and residents of community medicine when they were taking them to COVID-19 isolation wards, even inside the wards. The second was when two medical professionals went to a community to do contact tracing and take the history of an already confirmed COVID-19 case met with stone-pelting. This happened in the presence of higher authorities like the police department and tahsildar. So by this, you can judge the condition of this nation that its people are not ready to respect even the authorities who can actually jail them. 
There is so much anger and frustration among my countrymen that I am astonished to the core to see their behaviour with the person who actually is doing good for them. The third incident was the release of a video by residents of Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in Delhi complaining that they had been standing outside Medical Superintendent's office to request for personal protective equipment which is not being provided to them even after our own Prime Minister promised that in his announcement. In my opinion, this is a very serious issue and the authorities who are neglecting these people will cry and suffer if any of them gets infected or if this epidemic spreads among the Medical Community. Right now we have handled the situation as good as we could according to the poor health care system of our country and limited resources. 
Make no mistake this has only been done due to undying and tireless efforts of the Medical Community. So this is my I warning to each and every person who thinks they are better than us - "Guys! if medical community is suppressed or gets infected or beaten and they decide not to work due to it i.e. if Medical Community goes away from the scene this epidemic will consume you". It will consume the people you know, the people you love, your family, your neighbours. I do not expect any goodwill, appreciation, claps or a reward for my work but just want to request that let us work the way we want. Let us do our work the best way it is possible in our medical judgement and not your brain which even lacks common sense. So these are the few things which I have read, done and thought about in the past 48 hours. Hope you liked day 8 & 9. Give your comments in the section below. Meet you in another 48 hours. Be safe. 
READ.SHARE.FOLLOW.COMMENT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention ! Attention !!

First though t -  Maybe some announcement. Wrong Second though t - OK. The author wants attention.  True In this particular piece, I would like to address an issue of - Lack of Attention amongst us. The motivation behind this particular piece is my real life friend. Lack of attention when someone talks, discusses, reads or writes something without graphical depiction of the subject is a real issue nowadays. The attention span of most of the modern humans has become smaller than the time taken by a hand grenade to explode after taking out the pin, which ranges from 4 to 8 seconds. This might seem like an exaggeration but is actually very true. The first proof in my argument is that few of the readers are already bored by now, reading about a Real Problem . So to just keep them engrossed here it is -                                                                               Many of you might choose to read about what I have to express, few because of the previo

Attention ! Attention !! 2.0

DISCLAIMER  I am not against any kind of invention, discovery or advancement of technology. This blog is not written because I feel superior to any other human just because of my profession.  This is not written to badmouth or discourage you from using some specific sites.  These are just my views about a particular subject. Nothing more. All the pictures used by me are downloaded from google and I do not own them.  I think I should start from where I wasn't clear in my last write-up , as, pointed out by few of my friends. So the problem about which I was talking was - the advent of technology in everyone's life. Before I express my views I would like you to go down the memory lane and remember about your school life. Do you remember how we used to have school debates and extempore. Now let the juices of your brain flow and try to extract out this particular information that in one of those you might have debated about the advent of technology in the modern era or

Shimla - The Queen Of Hills !

Bone-chilling cold crept up  my legs into my torso. My teeth started chattering when I suddenly realized that the temperature had gone far below zero degree Celsius. I switched on the ignition of my car and turned on the heater to full blast before my legs became numb.                                     This is how I was welcomed to Shimla in the state of Himachal Pradesh, India, in the month of January. Luckily, my car started immediately against my strong belief that it would not in such cold weather, as, that was the first time I had driven my Volkswagon Polo to a hill station in winters. I woke my college mate up who had coiled like a viper on the conductor seat of our car under the common blanket we had been sharing for past four hours. Being taller and heavier between us, my legs had to bear the wrath of winters as most of the time they had not been covered. At that moment I cursed myself for making such a rash decision of traveling to Shimla in the evening. The reason for