Skip to main content

8 Years and a Shirt !!

Hello to everyone!
The inspiration to write this particular piece came from a recent achievement which highlighted the importance of hard-work in our day to day life. When I was in my undergraduate days I was quite fond of buying new clothes (as many of us are). I would change my wardrobe as much as my pocket money and randomly springing family parties allowed me to. So, there was this one particular day when I was standing outside Tommy Hilfiger showroom, dreaming of buying some clothes from there. Dreaming because I used to (still at some level) think that they were way overpriced than their material and durability's worth.
Suddenly my eyes fell on this crisp blue shirt with long alternating stripes of blue-grey-white-some other things. I instantly knew that I was going to own this piece of clothing no matter what. To my dismay, I found out that it was available in medium size, which was normal for my age, height and sex. But being a medical student who thinks that there is nothing supreme than studies I was as unhealthy as people come when they are on a constant diet of sugar and fat mixed with occasional smoking with drinking. Although I was a little disappointed still, I spent almost 75% of my pocket money on it and bought with it a dream of fitting in that shirt someday. 8 years passed and finally yesterday (when I wrote this blog) I was able to wear it for the first time and had the satisfaction of fulfiling my dream after almost a decade. So, now a question comes in your mind i.e. Why am I am discussing this particular incident of my life to prove that hard-work is important? Were there no other instances?
To answer this question I would say that yes there are many other instances which can be put forward as good results of hard work but I choose this, as it is the most recent one I can quote and it is also a result of my longest hard work on a project. Yes, I kept on going many ups and downs in life meanwhile this shirt was waiting for me to attain my normal size. There were times when I felt crazy just to look at it, but, I kept ongoing. I would feel depressed at times as I was not able to achieve the size of a normal human being due to my bad habits of eating and drinking. 
Every morning I opened my Almirah and there it was a reminder of my failure, a reminder that I was the biggest procrastinator, a reminder that there was so much to achieve, a reminder of my constant struggles. Every morning I thought of achieving this dream. A small and insignificant dream at some point of time which had become my Goliath. Although I kept ongoing towards this certain goal but would fall short every time I was about to achieve it. 


The reason why I lay upon these facts of my constant failure before you is to prove and show from personal experience that the way to success is through a very twisting road which is full of hard work and turmoil. There has never been an instance when any person in this world achieved great things without putting his/her life in a constant process of change. Why I fit in this particular shirt is because of my hard work. The reason why am I able to run 30 kilometres without a break is continuous training which I made myself undergo constantly (for those 8 years). I would like to confess that I am far away from the perfection which I would like to achieve someday, but, am proud to say that I have at least decoded the way towards my goals. Having said all these things I would also like to add on that achieving a goal or an objective is not a very static process. There are times when you suffer a loss of a loved one, financial crunch, unemployment, chaotic and confused states about professional life and constant bickering and leg-pulling from your peers who are simply jealous of you. There are times when your determination and will-power is put to test. You are broken to your core and put down by life. There are times when you just stop believing that the goal towards which you started marching with all zeal and vigour is achievable. 


My friend, walking the right path, is the most difficult thing to do. It is very exacting in nature and brings out the maximum strength you have got in your soul. It not only touches your soul but also makes you feel and meet the power which resides within you. Going straight with a tunnel vision is not the solution. Going along on it as a lifestyle and managing, solving, taking care of the challenges which you face in the way is the right thing to do. Achieving a goal should never be above mental, social, physical and financial health. Prioritising our actual requirements is the key to it. In the end, I would just like to say (Sanskrit): 

उद्यमेन हि सिध्यन्ति कार्याणि न मनोरथैः ।
न हि सुप्तस्य सिंहस्य प्रविशन्ति मुखे मृगाः ॥

READ.FOLLOW.SUBSCRIBE













Comments

  1. Amazing! Your hard work did pay off!!👏

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Inspirational, its never too late to be what you might have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the appreciation. Yeah you are absolutely right about it. It's never too late

      Delete
  3. Walking through the right path, at right time with right decision...
    It's never too late to smile at your difficulties....
    Happy soul never gets tired...

    Wonderful writing sir...really inspirational..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Attention ! Attention !!

First though t -  Maybe some announcement. Wrong Second though t - OK. The author wants attention.  True In this particular piece, I would like to address an issue of - Lack of Attention amongst us. The motivation behind this particular piece is my real life friend. Lack of attention when someone talks, discusses, reads or writes something without graphical depiction of the subject is a real issue nowadays. The attention span of most of the modern humans has become smaller than the time taken by a hand grenade to explode after taking out the pin, which ranges from 4 to 8 seconds. This might seem like an exaggeration but is actually very true. The first proof in my argument is that few of the readers are already bored by now, reading about a Real Problem . So to just keep them engrossed here it is -                                                                               Many of you might choose to read about what I have to express, few because of the previo

Attention ! Attention !! 2.0

DISCLAIMER  I am not against any kind of invention, discovery or advancement of technology. This blog is not written because I feel superior to any other human just because of my profession.  This is not written to badmouth or discourage you from using some specific sites.  These are just my views about a particular subject. Nothing more. All the pictures used by me are downloaded from google and I do not own them.  I think I should start from where I wasn't clear in my last write-up , as, pointed out by few of my friends. So the problem about which I was talking was - the advent of technology in everyone's life. Before I express my views I would like you to go down the memory lane and remember about your school life. Do you remember how we used to have school debates and extempore. Now let the juices of your brain flow and try to extract out this particular information that in one of those you might have debated about the advent of technology in the modern era or

Shimla - The Queen Of Hills !

Bone-chilling cold crept up  my legs into my torso. My teeth started chattering when I suddenly realized that the temperature had gone far below zero degree Celsius. I switched on the ignition of my car and turned on the heater to full blast before my legs became numb.                                     This is how I was welcomed to Shimla in the state of Himachal Pradesh, India, in the month of January. Luckily, my car started immediately against my strong belief that it would not in such cold weather, as, that was the first time I had driven my Volkswagon Polo to a hill station in winters. I woke my college mate up who had coiled like a viper on the conductor seat of our car under the common blanket we had been sharing for past four hours. Being taller and heavier between us, my legs had to bear the wrath of winters as most of the time they had not been covered. At that moment I cursed myself for making such a rash decision of traveling to Shimla in the evening. The reason for